Sunday, September 20, 2015

The purpose of the Stones and the Camino de Santiago de Compestella .

There a number of historical reasons for Pilgrims to carry and leave stones on the Camino. Many are actually carried for others who are not on the journey. You may also bring one for yourself.

If you recall just a couple of days ago I shared with you a conversation I had with a young German man who told me that he was walking the Camino as a sacrifice which at the end in Santiago may, he prayed, produce a blessing. In his case he wants the blessing to remove the conflict between his sister and brother and in doing so bring all of the family back together. I agree with this interpretation.

It is also true that a pilgrim can bring a stone for the departed in an effort to lay the stone and ask for that persons forgiveness of sin and that person will then have eternal peace. I also agree with that.

I also believe that a pilgrim can place a stone along the way and ask for His help in making 
a difficult situation improve, a cure or allowing that person and his or her family peace while the trial continues. I agree.

So with that let me share with you a little about the stones I am carrying. I should also point out that I recieved a request just last night for another stone which has not been selected.

I am currently carring seven stones for eight people. One of the stones has two names on it as they are related. The stones being carried for those who have departed include a friend of Robin who's Dad Merlin, pasted away a few months ago at the age of 95. Cherie, Robin's cousin's Donald's wife who lost a tough battle with Cancer shortly after retiring. 

A stone from home for Betty Young, Beth Moore's mother who passed away just two years ago this month. Another stone from home for Lori. It has two names on it, her sister Diane who died as an infant and for her Mom, Jeri who has recently had a difficult accident. 

Three other stones for those in need of a medical or personal blessing. Bill Howe who is back in Cape Cod and facing a challenging life change. For Bill a blessing of peace in the process. A stone for Johnny Mac, a friend who has been waiting for a kidney for more than two years and has never once complained about it, for John the blessing of a new kidney. The stone which will be added is for Ron Nichols my niece's father in law who is fighting the good fight against cancer ... A blessing of a cure.  

And last but not least for my younger brother Rick who has Prostate Cancer currently under observation, a blessing of a cure or at worst a life long dormant condition. 

So there you have the story of the stones I am carring. As I place the stones I will update everyone. I know where at least three of the stones will be placed, the others I'm working on.

Buen Camino.


2 comments: