Wednesday, September 2, 2015

I met my first Camino victim today ... I'm calling her Mona.

First my flight here. All good. It started in a strange way. I was on my flight from Dallas, we had just pushed back from the gate when the Captain came on and announced that there was a technical problem and that we needed to be towed back to the gate. I could here people near me expressing concern and early stages of anger. That used to be me. Robin says that I returned from my first Camino a different person. Yes, I lost some weight but she meant my attitude was different ... better. So now I will refer to myself on occasion as either BC Jim or AC Jim as in before the Camino or after the Camino.

It's true. I'm not as wound up as I once was. When the announcement was made I just reminded myself that it's just part of the journey. Whatever happens I will just need to figure it out or as Robin would say "deal with it".

Good news. We were parked and had not moved because we needed a tow back into the gate when the Captain came back on and said they had figured out what was wrong, got it fixed and we were good to go. A delay of about five minutes. 

We arrived in Madrid where I had a long layover and then took a small washing machine to Pamplona.
By the time I got to the Hotel it was about 4:30. A quick shower and then off to get something to eat. Once at Hemingway's next door I lost whatever appetite I had and was quickly back at the hotel and in bed reading by 7:30. I was worn out and fell asleep easily and did not wake until 7:00 am. I think it's Wednesday. 

Now I am a bit hungry so I head down to the Hotel restaurant and the place is full of Camino Pilgrims. Donkey service Pilgrims. All of them. When I walked in I was dressed like most Pilgrims, hiking shoes, loose fitting trail pants and a simple long sleeve shirt. It did not take long to figure out that they were using the Donkey service. They all had these tiny little backpacks so small that they did not have straps they had strings. The "backpacks" would have been perfect for a six year old to take to school as long as they were not taking more than a PB&J sandwich and a cookie to school. Along a wall outside the room were their suitcases. I sat down as they all tried to figure out where I came from and if I was on a The Camino. I could not resist. I asked the women sitting at the next table if they were on The Camino? She smiled,  said yes and asked me the same question. I also said yes but then I asked her if she was using the Donkey service? 

She not only said yes but went on to tell me that their group would also be driving ahead about half way to Puente La Reina to avoid having to climb the hill out of Pamplona. I get it. As both Pat and John will attest the hill climb out of Pamplona to the wind turbines is a good little test. I also understand that if you are going to use the Donkey service you might as well get as much out of as you can. So there you have it. The Donkey service is alive and well. The Camino in whatever way is best for you. More power to them. I'm sure that I will think about it when I'm climbing up over the Pyrenees on Friday.

I finish breakfast and walk to the nearby camino shop where I meet my first Camino victim. I am in the process of selecting new poles for the journey when in limps this thirty something women who is practically in tears wearing hiking boots which have had whole sections cut out to relieve the pain of her blisters. She wants to buy a pair of sandles for her trip back to somewhere in Germany. She asks me if I'm on The Camino and I tell her that I will travel to St. John and start on Friday. She can't wait to warn me about the climb and the difficulty on day two in the decent. I don't tell her that I have walked it once before. It would not be something she wants to hear right now. I have given her a name ... I'm calling her Mona. I think you can understand the name choice. When she limped into the shop she was moaning from her discomfort. Not exactly up lifting for me. I really did not want to meet someone who's Camino is ended after only 32 miles. It happens.

Speaking of feet, I decided at the last minute in the Hotel at LAX to bring only one pair of Limo's. The rookies have made the trip. The original Limo's have been left behind. Just two much added weight. Hopefully the new Limo's will provide a good ride for the passengers.

One last note for today. Beard or no beard? I was not going to grow the beard again but Robin asked me to grow it again so I will. I'm sure it will be whiter than the first one. That's it for today. Tomorrow I transfer to St. John France, only one more day to go.

Buen Camino.

2 comments:

  1. Please grow the beard back! You're not the true "Camino Jimmy" without the beard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the beard is a must no matter what the color..... Jill

    ReplyDelete