Tuesday, September 22, 2015

It's my lucky day! I run into Miss USA and nothing changed, absolutely nothing.

Before I fill you in on Miss USA let me first tell you two things. The first ... Do your remember the movie The Godfather ?  Of course you do. Do you remember the scene where Michael is trying to teach his new Italian wife to drive a car? That's where she says " Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Wednesday ... That's me when I woke up today. Completely unsure of what day it is. Counting on my figures from when I started I finally figure it out, it's Tuesday. I am going to walk to Calzadilla de Los Hermanillos. The only town which has more letters in its name than people who live there. It's small, really small.

After I figure out where I am and what day it is I go for coffee. On my way I step outside to feel the weather. It's chilly. I check on line and it's 45 degrees but it will be a nice day and warm up to the mid 70's. I will adjust and then leave. I'm out early today. I step onto the Camino at 8:30. The walk today will be another seventeen miles but with more shade and opportunities to find food and water along the way.

The second thing I will share with you is that my editing is what it is. I often will post corrections several times within minutes of each other. It just depends on the time of day and just how tired I am.

As I head to the front door I move past all of the luggage ready to be picked up by the Donkey service and when I step outside there are at least a dozen people getting into their van to jump ahead to Sahagun, a farly large city. There is little eye contact with this group and I think I know why.

As I get started I here my name called from behind me. It's Michael and Red. They tell me about their good luck in getting a place to stay last night. When they inquired at the Auberge they are told that there was just a pre-paid cancellation of a private room and because it's late they get it for free. I private room with shower and access to the laundry. They look much better today than yesterday. 

On the subject of seeing others I have met over the last three weeks here's a quick update. I did see the couple from San Diego two days ago at a cafe, she has recovered and appears to be fine. I have not seen the lady from Denver who had to skip ahead several days because of blisters. Hopefully she serviced the storm. Mick, my Irish friend has not been seen since I last saw him taking a day off with a plan to continue on the next day. Given the condition of his feet I would have been shocked to see him. Perhaps we will meet again closer to Santiago. I did see one of the Canidan couples I had dinner with on the second night. They told me that one of the other guys from that night blew out a knee when he stepped badly on a large Spanish Potatoe. They have already flown back. Teresa and Mike from Long Beach are gone, they were on a partial Camino. I have not seen the couple from Scotland or the Nova Scotia people for a couple of days. Putin has been missing since the first week. Perhaps he is in Syria. Donna from Dan Point has not been seen. I have also not seen the young German walking for a blessing or Robert the Polish guy walking more than a thousand miles. But I did see Miss USA today. 

I walked without stopping to Sahagun before taking a break. That's about nine or ten miles. Im feeling fine and I will take a nice break before I go the last six or seven miles where there is nothing. I pick out a nice looking little pastry shop which has a patio and plastic chairs and tables. There are a number of pilgrims there who have made the same decision. 

I take off my backpack and place it against the wall and walk into the shop. Without any warning of any kind a women jumps right in front of me and shoves her iPhone in my face just holding it there and screams at me to "talk to the guy on the phone. I'm trying to make a reservation and he does not understand me. Do you speak Spanish". I am stunned. It's Miss USA. Once I gather myself and figure out what is happening I just looked at her and said " I don't speak Spanish". Without another word she just pushes past me out the door and starts to work the patio people.

I order my coffe and select a pastry. I will just sit inside and avoid this crazy women. I look outside and she is gone. She is across the street disrupting another group of people sitting on another patio at a different cafe. Obviously Miss USA is oblivious about how others see her behavior. I would like to know why she is on the Camino but frankly I hope to never to see her again.

The walk is long and it gets warm. There are very few reasons to take many photos although I do take a few. I am getting closer to Leon. That is where I can seriously start thinking about Santiago. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Wednesday .... Tomorrow, whatever day it is I will be on my way to Mansilla de las Mulas a dustance of fifteen miles over a farly flat trail. Good night, Buen Camino.

1 comment:

  1. While reading this I was hoping the ending would not be that you left your backpack there. Glad your feet are better

    ReplyDelete