Tuesday, September 8, 2015

It's an uneventful day until the last four miles and then it gets interesting.

The departure from Puenta La Reina starts out very nicely. The weather is near perfect and I feel fine. Sore, yes that's now par for the course. Speaking of Par I need to apologize to the group of guys I uasally play with once a week. I guess that during my absence you will all have to deal with the cash flow reduction. I know you have all become so accustomed to it. Perhaps you can get a bank to fiance a payment based on anticipated  receivables.

Back to today. After the first two or so miles the situation changes just as the guide book had warned us about. There is now a long, very steep climb on a very badly eroded trail. It's getting warm and I am already wet from head to toe. I have seen some of the usual faces from Canada but I have not seen Putin or Miss USA. 

Everything changes at the moment I begin the down hill march in the Spanish Potatoes,  aka the Spanish Rocks and stones. I think they grow over night.  Just like yesterday it's just not fun. Leaning on your poles, head down trying not to take a really bad step as the weight shift of your backpack is beginning to have an effect on both your back and shoulders. Simply, this is hard.

With the exception of the terrain and the difuculty there is not much to say about the journey today. It's just not attractive. Nothing. Vegiataion, views and the villages just are not what has come before this day. We have passed into Basque Country and the anti-Spanish graffiti is everywhere and lots of it is in English.

I do get to stop at the same little cafe as I did two years ago. There are two cafe's directly across from each other and they are both good and are always busy. That's due to a couple of things. One they are situated where you come out of this long sun drenched trek looking for a place to sit and have something to eat or drink. They also both do a good job of creating an atmosphere you want  to be a part of.  I stopped and had a dish of Spanish stew. It was good and I needed the break. There were dozens of people in no rush to go anywhere having a couple of beers and or a glass of Rioja. 

I finish my stew and push on. I have only about six miles to go. Soon there after is when I first become aware of the problem. The right Passenger is starting to feel the creation of blisters. The left passenger is also sending similar signals but not as clearly as the right passenger. I'm not surprised. The terrain and the Spanish Potatoes have taken their toll. I decide to just keep going but I am already walking in a way that clearly favors the right passengers problem. The good news is that even with my slowdown I will reach Estella long before the pharmacy closes. The last two miles let me know that I have a real issue to deal with. 

I arrive at the Hotel limping a bit still moving forward. I will unpack, get the laundry taken care of, shower and then find a pharmacy. All is good with the plan and I get it all done. I'm ready to head to the pharmacy when I decide that I should charge my cell phone and download any emails I might have. That's when the panic sets in. I left my charger at the last hotel. Without it I'm out of the commincation business and it's five o'clock in Estella... So where am I possibly going to find a chager for my iPad and iPhone ? I can't believe that I have left behind a critical item. It's one that's never left behind. I am supposed to have a check list of the critical items packed before I close the backpack everyday. Medicine, power cords, passport, credential, credit cards, cash, hotel vouchers and reading glasses. 

I'm in a panic as I head to the front desk. I should be focused on the blisters but they can wait. I must find a place to buy a charger. I get to the front desk and try to explain my problem. The desk clerk is calm. She ask's no questions and just gets up and goes to a closet behind the desk. She returns with a box of chargers and assorted power items left behind by other people as dumb as me. There right in front of me is exactly what I need! I plug it in and I'm back in busines. I try to pay her for it but she just say's no ... It was lost and now it's found. 

I'm tired and worn out and I need to go and put the antibiotic they gave me at the pharmacy on my blisters. I will walk slowly tomorrow and I hope it's all going to be good. I have reason to believe it will be jusr a bit less comfortable. I will just have to manage . It's all part of the journey! A very uneventful day turned out to be otherwise!

Good night and Buen Camino.




  

No comments:

Post a Comment