Friday, September 18, 2015

Okay I'm not missing in action ... It's just a lack of wifi. I'm on my way to Castrojeriz a walk of about thirteen miles.

I have no reason to leave early today . Today is a relatively short walk with only one real uphill challenge which comes early but is not significant. Having said that the climb is worthy of the poles to be engaged. My feet are killing me. The blisters are under contro, they are just sore and today's walk won't help. The weather is about as good as it can be but the trail is a mess.

I am only about a mile from the start and I just can't convince myself that I have packed my sleeping device. It's driving me crazy. I have to stop and look in my backpack. If I did not pack it I can turn back, it's only a mile or so. I unpack and I do have it. I double check all of my critical items, passport, credit cards, cash, my credential and all is good but ... I knew I left someting and I was correct. I forgot my bungey cords, aka the clothes line. Not critical, I'm not going back and adding two more miles for a bungey cord. If your keeping score you can add that to the list. Not bad. Its been several days since I lost anything.

Lots of erosion and occasional mud with of course the daily diet of Spanish Potatoes. It's just not possible to walk in a straight line. That also means you are always looking straight down. Today when you are looking down you really are not missing much. The walks first stop at Hontanas is nearly seven miles from the day's start. I need to eat something, resupply the water and get access to wifi to post yesterday's blog, check email and send photos.

It's getting warm so I will also need to make a wardrobe adjustment. Most of the walk today is in the sun, no shade until the final mile on the road into town. No other stopping points. The cafe and Albergue is doing a booming business. Lots of people checking in as I arrive. I'm not sure if it's in their plan or it's because the weather is good but it's crowded. I go inside and order a slice of pizza. It's different but good. I can now sit and use the wifi. I ask for the password and it's not as complex as some so I'm on line quickly.

There are a number of emails asking me where I am? Am I okay? Thanks, all is okay it's just a lack of wifi that's keeping me out of touch. I even got an email from Robim that she has called the Hotel to see if I chedked in or out. All is good, just really sore feet! Thanks for the concern.

I am supposed to meet Mick for dinner in town but that does not happen. The town is about a half mile long end to end. That's not a problem but there are two streets which run parallel to each other, one upper and one lower. Mick is staying at one of the Albergue's in town and there are a number of them. They are all over the place. I'm staying in a place on the lower road which is fifty four steps below the upper road. I know because I went up and down them a couple of times trying to find my hotel and I counted them. I'm not going up again in search of the Irishmen. I'll find him in Fromista or somewhere else on the Camino.

I check in and the room is fine with one weird addition. The shower has no curtain or shower door. The result is there is water everywhere. I'm thinking that the room below me may have a problem but it is what it is. 

I need to find a shop to buy socks. The three pair I have are getting long in the tooth and that's not going to help my passengers. I do find a shop and they do have one pair that will work for me. I then head back to the Hotel to check on the Pilgrim dinner. It's at 7:30 and the menu is okay so I sign up to avoid the steps to the upper road in search of an alternative.

As I'm walking out of the hotel which has wifi I get an email from Robim to turnoff my airplane mode on my phone and she will call me. We have not spoken since I left almost three weeks ago. Robin is in Germany on the final leg of her trip. She calls and we get a chance to catch up. All is good but we are both ready to go home. I will not be going for quite a while yet, she will be flying back on Monday. As it turns out next Mondsy is when I will reach the halfway point. 

It's time for dinner and I am seated with two couples, one from Nova Scotia and the other from Long Beach California. Nice people. More about that tomorrow. It is 4:40 am, I have been awake since 3:00 and I need to try to get back to sleep. I fell asleep at 9:30 so I did get in five and a half hours.

Good night or good morning I'm not sure which makes more sense. In a few hours I will begin walking to Fromista. The walk starts straight up hill and then is fairly flat. The distance is about sixteen miles, not a short day.

Buen Camino.

No comments:

Post a Comment