Sunday, September 13, 2015

On my way to Belorado a walk of about fourteen miles ... It's very windy.

Before I cover yesterday's end and my visit to the Church of the Two Chickens I want to write about a question I got yesterday asking me how I would compare this Camnio to the first at this point. First let me just say that's it's early. I still have a very long way to go. The question was asked of me yesterday and it did get me thinking about a comparison. I prepared better for the first Camino and I believed that before I left for St. Jean two weeks ago. Would that lead to more problems which would place this Camino in a negative light? Compared to many others I've met along the way I was much better prepared. Were they unaware of the difficulty especially in the first two days? Deprived of the time to train? Poorly equipped? Were both the Limos and the Passengers ready to go?

For me the comparison of the two is not at all about preparation. Yes the physical part can and will make a huge difference. If you end up with the wounded I'm sure your opinion of the Camino won't be all that good. 

For me it's about who you meet along the Way. I have met many nice people on this my second Camino. The weather has been terrific, the accommodations just fine and Inspite of some minor blister related issues I'm good physically. So what's the difference so far that makes me think that Camino number one was more enjoyable? Interesting people . I met lots of interesting people on Camino one but I have not yet met anyone on Camino two who I would call interesting. I'm not giving up. There is still a long way to go. Time will tell.

Now back to yesterday. My walk to Santo Domingo. I made great time and all is good. I will check in, take care of the chores and then I will walk to the Paradore where I can sit in the comfort of the Hotel's  generous lobby sitting area including the really large comfortable leather chairs. I will just take the time to sit, relax, have a glass of Rioja and start the day's blog. The plan wil be to have dinner at the Paradore before I return to the Convent. By the way both Pat and John stayed at the Convent on their Camino. They loved it!

Okay great plan. I will also visit the Cathedral because it is directly across from the Hotel. I'm looking forward to a steak. I have not eaten much and today was no exception. I'm hungry. At about 6:30 I walk from the lobby to the dining room to check out the menu. When I get there it's empty. I find a staff member and he tells me that they don't serve dinner until 8:30. That's two hours from now so that won't work. Bummer. 

I decide to go to find a pharmacy and when I did it's closed. There is however a small Camino type shop which is open . Good, I need a new tee shirt. The shop has nothing that works except a shirt that looks like a plaid shirt you might see on a farmer when he goes to town to vote. It's actually wool. I do need a shirt I can wear to dinner. I can wear it for just an hour or so and then just throw it into the backpack for the next day. I buy it. It's on sale for six Euro. Try that at Nordstrom.

Now to find something to eat. I ask the shop owner and he sends me one block away to a street I have never seen before. It has at least a dozen street side cafés. The sidewalk is fifty feet wide and all of the cafés are sheltered from the wind with plastic. It looks like something you would find in Paris. I stroll down the street lookng at menus which are all very much alike. Lots of people, it's a happening place on Sunday. I pick an Italian place and order pasta and a salad with a glass of Rioja. This will work just fine.

I'm just starting my salad when in walks the largest human being I've ever seen and that includes the circus! I think he selected this restaurant because it has a bench seat against one of the walls. He must be five hundred pounds. I don't think he's on the Camino. Ten minutes later he is screaming at the waiter and all I can understand is that they are arguing about what "medium" is. He has ordered a steak. He is pounding his fists on the table and screaming at now two waiters. Not quite the Parador. I'm now in a hurry to leave.

My visit to the Church of the Two Chickens. It's a stunning Cathedral. I took some photos which I have sent out. I hope everyone who wants to see them got them. If not send me an email and I will do my best to make sure your on the list. My visit is fairly brief. The Rooster does not crow while I'm there and I don't find a feather. 

I leave Santo Doming at ten. It takes me six hours to reach Belorado. It would have been sooner but every step, all fourteen miles is dead into a very strong headwind. It just wears me out. Add to that the walk is along lots of freeway. It's noisy to say the least with semi's screaming by constantly. I am no longer walking in the Vineyards or Rioja. I am now walking through the farm land most of which has been plowed under and just waiting for the next planting. It's brown for as far as the eye can see. 

I arrive at the Hotel Jacobeo. There is nothing else in this town ...nothing else. There is one restaurant so I guess I'll just wander over there and see what is available. It will be another early night. 

Tomorrow a walk of fifteen miles to San Juan de Ortega. Lots of elevation change and the weather looks ominous. Good night. Buen Camino.


  


No comments:

Post a Comment