Saturday, September 19, 2015

I could not find Mick last night for dinner, I'm looking in the wrong places ... He's in the Hospital.

More about Mick shortly but first lets wrap up yesterday. The walk between Hornillos del Camino and Castrojeriz is thirteen miles. I decide to go to the Pilgrim dinner because it's just fifty feet away at the restaurant which is part of the Hotel but in a seperate building. It also starts at 7:30 so I will not have to wait long. I can sit alone or just wing it. 

I'm on the patio and a couple comes over and sits with me. They are from Nove Scotia. My father was born there. They are just going from place to place starting at 6:00 am because they are competing for the beds at the Albergue's. It's crowded. I am booked all the way to Santiago so I'm spoiled but they use the Donkey service. It's just about time to go to dinner and another couple they have met stop by to say hello. Of course it always starts with the where are you from? It turns out that this second couple are from Long Beach just about forty miles from where we live. It's time fior dinner and they ask if I would like to join them. Yes that would be great. 

The food is not very good but the company is. Both couples were smart enough to stay in Burgos in a Hotel and miss the storm. I guess I'm just not that smart.  Bill and Karen from Novia Scotia have one son and a granddaughter who is three. It's there sons's second marriage. That comes up only because Ken says I have one son but I'm now working on my second daughter in law. Okay.

Mike and Theresa from Long Beach have two sons both in their thirty's, neither married and no interest in changing that. Theresa explains they are both Police Officers, one in Buena Park and one in Los Angeles. She goes on to say that they both date really nice women but it does not take long for the women to bailout because they know it's not going anywhere. So now it's my turn.

I start by telling them that we have three children, two girls both married to really terrific men and my son is engaged to be married to a really beautiful young lady in February. The the debate starts about which is more difficult to raise .. The boys or the girls? Of course because they only have boys they are focused on the way boys just don't seem to grow up as quickly as the girls but they believe that because of this the boys are more challenging.

My turn. I tell them that when the girls were in high school I was pretty rough on the boys they dated. Frankly I did not like them and I did not attempt to hide it. I didn't need any new friend as especially some sixteen year old dating my daughter.

I told them one of my favorite stories. I was rough on the boys, yes I don't debate that. We had a neighbor Mike, who was a really great guy who apparently heard some stories about how I treated the boys who were dating my daughters. He said to me that I should lighten up on them and things would be better.

Really Mike? I asked him this. Mike do you have a daughter? I knew he did not. He had a son who was  Ryan's age and they were friends. Of course he just looks at me because he knows that I know he does not have a daughter.

I asked him to pretend with me that it's a Friday night and it's six o'clock when the doorbell rings. You open the door and there he is ... Some sixteen year old who's dumpy car is now in your driveway leaking oil and he says " hi I'm here to pick up your Ming Vase. I will have it back safe and  sound to you at 11:00 tonight. I promise".
 
So Mike, let's pretend you actually have a Ming Vase. Are you going to hand it over to this sixteen year old stranger and hope he brings it back as promised at 11:00 pm? If the answer is no then consider this, the sixteen year old who rings my door bell wants me to give him my daughter! Not a Vase, my daughter. I won that debate easily and he never mentioned it again. I'll win that debate every time. Dinner was fun and I enjoyed the time with these new interesting peo

Now for Mick. I get up this morning and go to check out and have a cup of coffee. I also need water especially because of what lies ahead at the start of today's 16 mile walk to Fromista. The cafe does not have any bottled water or a power drink of any kind. That means I will need to go up the stairs and go backward for a short distance to get what I need at the market. I find what I need and I have my backpack off as I filling my permanent bottle and packing  away a small package of cookies for the trip. I look up and walking toward me is Mick.

He apologies for not making dinner and then tells me that he was at the Hopital having all his wounds lanced because they are infected. The damage was done on the first day when it took him twelve hours to go over the mountain. Not only did he push on but he abandoned his boots and was wearing tennis shoes that did not fit. His attitude is just amazing. He's making fun of what took place and tells me that he will be back on the Camino tomorrow walking with new boots that have not been broken in!  I won't try to describe what his feet look like. He is now wearing only flip flops under Doctors orders. It hurts just to look at his feet. His plan is to start walking each day at 4:00 am or earlier to get out of the heat. He says his problem stems from the fact that his boots were fine for Ireland but were not good in the heat. 

He tells me that he will catch up to me. He has my email and says he will let me know where he is. I wish him well and head to the Camino. The weather is good it's going to be warm. It's 10:00 when I get started. I can see it off in the distance, the hill. It's long and it's all uphill. I remember it and I know what I need to do. Take my time and stop as often as you feel the need to. I also remember the memorial at the top put up by the family of a Spanish Pilgrim who died of a heart attack at the top. I'm sure both Pat and John wil remember both the climb and the memorial.

I make it to the top without a problem taking about five stops just to catch my breath and not push it to hard. When I get to the top I really feel good. I take off my backpack and sit and drink some water. There is also a young Spainard selling fruit and snacks at the top. I buy an apple. Just about everyone wants to take the picture looking back to get a sense of what the elevation change was. I am taking a couple of photos when a guy who just reached the top stops and asks me if I would like to have him take my picture with the village of Castrojeriz down below as a backdrop. He takes the picture which I will include in today's photos. I make a comment that it's a pretty tough hill and he says yes but wait until you do it when you are 76! He's German, with his wife and two friends all about the same age. Amazing.

The balance of the day's walk is fairly flat but long and hot. The trail is not in good condition and it's warming up. I will soon arrive at the village of Itero de la Vega the last chance to get water and anything else for the next four hours. I stop and order a boccidillo and a Coke Zero. The Coke Zero is fine the boccidillo is not. It's all bread and it's not today's. I just leave it and return to the Camino. They also had wifi but it's not working. I get about four miles away and it the dawns on me ... I left my poles in the cafe. I did not need them because it's flat and because of that I just never realized in time to go back to get them. I will find a new pair of poles. Tomorrow is a day where the poles won't be needed so that's good. Okay if you are keeping score put the poles in the forgotten or lost column! 

That's it for now. I'm really tired and the passengers are not well. I need to rest. Good night and Buen Camino.



No comments:

Post a Comment