Friday, May 17, 2013

The first day St. Jean France to Roncesvalles, Spain

Wow, what a start. I have been thinking about this day since the first time a read about it. Every blog, book or guide you can find will tell you that this first stage is the most difficult and therefore it is the one stage I have had serious doubts about. At one time I considered starting in Pamplona to avoid this stage. it would just mean walking 450 miles not 500. That would still be a real challenge. Right?

Every time I thought about it I came away with one concern. If I skipped the most difficult stage would I have doubts about the journey and always wonder .... Could I have done it? There was no choice, I had to start in St. Jean.

Fast forward to my arrival day and the weather forecast is dreadful and the mountain route has been altered and at the Camino office I am told that last week a man from Brazil died on the mountain when he fell to his death while trying to go over the mountain in bad conditions. So here I am today at 5:15 in the morning, I open the window and it is raining cats and dogs with a temperature of about 47 degrees. I go on the internet and the forecast is for the rain to fall all day with some fog and a high temperature of 57. Wow, what to do.

 I begin packing for the rain and get all of my rain gear out including a wool cap, gloves and my thermal  survival blanket ready to go. Well at 5:40 my cell phone gives off that sound that a message has arrived. I check and its from a very close friend of Robin's, Debbie, and it says "I am praying for no rain tomorrow. You go Jim".  I respond "it's raining cats and dogs pray harder". Of course I am joking. 

I am now packed and dressed for the worst. I leave the Hotel, it is 6:30 and as I step out of the building the rain stops. I walk across the street to a little cafe for coffee and a pastry and I just wait for the rain to return but it does not. I leave and walk to the Camino starting point and as I take my first step the sun comes out! Amazing just amazing. I walk The Camino for seven hours in sunshine . I stop after the first hour to take off all of my extra weather gear and clothing because I am sweating like it is summer. 

The weather is perfect for my entire walk and as I approach my destination, the village of Roncesvalles it starts to rain lightly, just as a reminder of just how blessed I am.

Thank you Debbie and thanks to so many others who wished me well and sent messages praying that I would have great weather and a great journey. I made it! Thank you Debbie and to all of the many who have wished me well.

Time to get a glass of wine and something to eat. More later.

3 comments:

  1. I have loved reading all your stories on the blog. So glad that God blessed you with good weather for the first day of your journey. Also love the positive attitude. Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knowing you I can't imagine you not doing the most difficult part of the journey. You would always have questioned yourself if you did skip the first day. Good for you Jim!!! Don't know why it says "Aunt Jill" should say sister in law Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. ccccccccccccccccccc Montedo é o ministro da economia brasileiro e os nossos carros já estão com o IPVA SP pagos e o Licenciamento anual em dia. E o nosso Coluna do Flamengo ?

    ReplyDelete