Wednesday, May 29, 2013

I am hungry and I don't want to talk about the weather ..... The weather girl does not like me.

I will complete my 13th day today on The Camino. This is stage 13, I am on my way to Burgos a walk of 15.9 miles which I will turn into at least 17 miles. No I did not get lost, I will explain later. Before I post stage 13, I would like to catch up on a few items which I have either discussed before or did not include in a prior post that may be of interest. 

 A quick update on the Camino missing in action. It's day 13 of the journey and I have not seen Mee-Sue since Michele put a bandage on her knee. I don't think she is ahead of us.

The 17 year old girl who I gave the name Sofia to is doing fine. We saw her at our free outdoor concert with Kevin and Edward in Belorado. She is safe and walking with a group of people who are younger and moving at a very aggressive pace. Sofia ( I actually know her real name but I will just call her Sofia) has reduced the weight of her backpack by getting rid of several books and will leave The Camino in the next two days to return to school. I give her a lot of credit for her courage for what she has done but I agree with her Father ... I would have said no.

Big Billy is somewhere up ahead and I may see him again. I hope so, Big Billy is a gentle giant that you would all like to be around as long as Dortmund is not getting beat. Hopefully his feet are better.

Janet from Indiana has not been seen for several days. She may just be lagging behind after a rest or she may have ended her Camino in Estrella. 

The young Japanese couple I met several days ago when she could hardly walk are most likely gone. Her injury just appeared to be to serious to consider going on. The Camino has no limits on injury. Young and Old will be tested .

Jerry from Boston is healing his blisters and will be leaving The Camino in the morning. His plan is to return to the Camino this summer to complete the walk.  He plans to break-in his new shoes long before he returns, good idea.

Fernando and Nelly are here in Burgos but Nelly is having some problems. I know it's not uncommon to have an injury end your Camino long before Santiago but I hope they will be with me there on June 19th when I enter the Cathedral of Saint James. I hope that she gets to complete The Camino If that's what she wants to do.

 Now on to stage 13, San Juan De Ortega to Burgos.

I am no longer concerned with my Camino grade. I have decided on a new grading system. I will use the grades given to me by three teachers not just one. Paul will continue to grade me just like the East German Judge grades the US diver in the Olympics, you know 6.5 out of a possible 10. That's ok because I have decided to appoint as the other two giving me a grade on my Camino blog two recently retired teachers. My brother Rick and my sister-in-law Jill. 

I am now no longer concerned with having to repeat The Camino based on one very tough teacher's grading process. One last comment on my most recent blogs. I have really tried to edit them as best I can but the combination of typing on my iPad mini, the size of my fingers and the fact that I am tired is just making it difficult. Sorry.

It is 8:30 and I am in no hurry to leave but I want out of this eight room village. I am just waiting for it to warm up just a little. It is cold. Not chilly,  it's cold. Here's what I am facing today. A nearly 16 mile walk, at least two very steep hills and then as it turns out I will enter the city of Burgos and take the wrong route, there are two. That is where the extra mile will come from. If I could read a map better I could have avoided this but I think it's just a reminder of how spoiled I am because of the GPS woman who is somewhere hiding in my dashboard. You know her, she's the one who says "in 200 feet make a legal U turn! " I don't like her.

This blog will need to be finished later. I returned to the Hotel after dinner with Rainer and Michele later than expected. More on that soon but just a short comment, it's really great having your own guide and as I suspected the choice of restaurant was terrific. In addition there will likely be limited wifi at our next stop. Oh by the way here in Spain it's pronounced we-fee.

Here is how it starts. I return my key to the combination front desk, bar, and potato chip restaurant. I will have a coffee before I go. There are none of the usual carb choices . I have not had  any real food for 24 hours and that was a small bocadillo. It's cold . I'm about to find out just how cold. In walks this young woman, probably in or just out of college. I will soon give her the name "weather girl".

I am just finishing my coffee when she walks in. I say Hola and she responds in English "it's cold, really really cold". She continues, "it's minus 1", "it's really, cold", really cold ". 

I know it's cold and I know why she is "really, really cold". She is dressed like she on the way to Nordstroms to buy a different pair of running shoes from the ones she is wearing . "May I join you?"

Yes but I'm just finishing my coffee and I need to get out of this place to walk about two miles in search of something to eat so I am not going to sit here for another twenty minutes while she drinks her coffee. I am also getting a vibe that she may be looking for a walking companion. That's not going to happen. I have no interest in having her join me. I don't know her pace, I don't want to wait and I have no interest in getting a weather update every fifty feet. I'm out of here.

The next village is Ages is small but bigger than San Juan, which does not make Ages unique. I pass the first cafe. I don't know why given my interest in getting something to eat. It turns out to be a good decision. I spot the next cafe, it's fifty feet away. I go in and I am blown away at just how beautiful this little place is. I have sent pictures which I hope Robin will post. 

The cafe is spotless. The woman behind the counter greets me like I am her favorite son just returning from war. I am the only customer. The meat and cheese choices are extensive. I don't know how this place can survive. 

I order a coffee-con leche and she says "grande ?" Sure why not. As I drink my coffee she is creating  a bocadillo which has two types of ham which she slices as thin as you can imagine and adds cheese , tomato and drizzles a bit of olive oil, adds salt and pepper and I am in heaven. 

The bocadillo is also made with the bread she has just remove from her oven. It is so big that I will eat only half and have the rest for lunch. I also buy a bottle of juice and a small bar of dark Swiss chocolate, an energy boost. I pay  the 5 Euro , thank her and I'm on my way.

I have been there for about 30 minutes. I step outside and who do I see? It's the weather girl. I greet her "Hola" and she stares at me says nothing and gives me a look like I have insulted her. I have now officially made my first enemy on The Camino.  You can imagine how bad I feel. If you can you have me confused with someone else. I could care less.

I have learned many things in walking nearly 179 miles about The Camino rules, one of which is if I want to walk alone for whatever reason you must respect that wish and move on. She knows about as much about Camino rules as she dies about footwear.  

I am also sending now a picture of my next car. I spotted it on the way out of Ages. It's a beauty. It has a spoiler so it must be fast! I'm not sure about the color I will order but I know it won't be red .... I already own a red car. Robin will post the picture. You will be jealous .

That's it for now . I need to get the Limos on and get back on The Camino. Have a good day and to all my friends playing in the Dove Member Guest, "hit it where they mow."










No comments:

Post a Comment