Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Pamplona ... Get past the jet lag and then make my way to St. Jean, France to start my 500 mile Camino journey.

I slept for a solid 8 hours which for me is rare. When I arrived yesterday in Pamplona it was sunny and hot. Yes hot. It was in the low 80's. When I woke this morning it was raining and cold. The temperature was in the 40's, what a change. I went online to look at the forecast for St. jean France where I will begin walking on Friday over the Pyrenees, an elevation increase of 4100 feet and by far the most difficult day. The forecast is for cold, wet weather, not good. 

I quickly realized as I stepped out of the Hotel that I am not prepared for weather this cold and when you add in the elevation of the mountain it will be colder and if it is raining that just means that it will be much more difficult. 

I decided to take a walk to find exactly where The Camino goes through Pamplona and was pleasantly surprised just how close my hotel is to where The Camino enters the city. It's only about 300 yards from the Hotel's front door. I was also surprised at how easy it was to find The Way as it is called. The streets have concrete scallop shells every 12 feet marking the path. Even I can't get lost on this part of The Camino. When you enter the city The Camino takes you right past the Cathedral of Pamplona dedicated to The Virgin Mary. I went in and said my first prayer on The Camino.

There were lots of Pilgrims walking through the city and I did see two pilgrim Albergue's one which had a sign that there were only two beds left for today. Yes, I am spoiled .

I stopped in at a Camino shop ( I took a picture, actually several pictures but I have not yet figured out how to attach them ) which is owned by a young couple from Budapest and they were very helpful in getting me fitted for my walking poles, a wool hat ( a 2 Euro throwaway) to get me over the mountain, a Swiss Army knife and a pair of 6 Euro Blue sunglasses which they said I must have because it matches my rain jacket! 

Back to the Hotel to drop off my new gear and then lunch at Hemingway's favorite Bar. It's hard to not notice how things are different here. My lunch included a salad, steak with fries, dessert and wine with tip included all for 13.5 Euro. I good glass of wine at home would cost at least the same. I forgot to add that when the waiter brought the wine he just set down the bottle and that was it. Drink what you want, same price. I skipped the dessert and the waiter was shocked because it was all included. If I eat this way tomorrow I will be more concerned about the weight I will be dragging up the mountain and I'm not talking about the backpack!

Time for a nap. 

No comments:

Post a Comment