Thursday, May 16, 2013

Last day to prepare

I am preparing to leave for St Jean France on the other side of the Pyrenees to begin walking in the morning. The weather forecast is getting much worse and may become a problem including a delay. Once I arrive in St. Jean I will immediately head to the Camino office for information on the weather and if the route over the mountain is passable. 

I met three pilgrims from San Diego last night at Hemingway's bar. All about my age, a married couple and the brother of the husband. The wife was born and raised in San Juan Capistrano about one mile from where we live. Small world. They just completed the first three days and are taking the same route. They said that on the first day when they went over the mountain the weather was beautiful but after that it rained all day and it made it much more difficult. 

Just an FYI about how the Banks operate here. I wanted to exchange US Dollars for Euro's and it was a real chore. When I asked the people at the front desk in my Hotel one of them immediately said that he would take me to the bank. The bank was just across the square and I could see the office easily. I told him that I could find it but he insisted on taking me. Once we got to the bank (Banco Popular) he surprised me when he came in with me. I soon found out why. Once in the bank he spoke to two different people at great length. The conversation was a bit animated and I thought that was unusual given the fact that all I wanted to do was exchange some Dollars for Euros. The next thing I know we are headed up stairs were my hotel front desk guy begins another conversation with a young woman who is clearly some kind of manager. That conversation ends and all three of us are headed back downstairs where another conversation of some length begins with a new person. Finally my hotel guy tells me that its ok but for not more than $200 US. He leaves.

I stand there for about another 15 minutes while the two managers push the keys on a computer keyboard and ask me for my US Passport. I comply. They make a photo copy and then ask me to sign three different documents none of which I have a clue about what they say or what I am signing. It dawns on me that after the manager takes my signed documents that for all I know I may now be in the Spanish Army! In the end the manager hands me 146 Euros and I leave the bank quickly before they change their mind. I can only imagine that if I had pushed for $500 US they would have had to call the Mayor's office.

That's it for now. On my way to St. Jean to see what the plan will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment