Sunday, May 12, 2013

Turning 65...

I turned 65 yesterday. That's a good thing but it comes with conditions. First I get the feeling that others believe that 65 is a number which should mean that you must begin acting like you are not only older but that you should slow down and rest. Ok, I get it but I am not ready to just sit in the corner and be reminded that my napkin is on the floor or that I am now on Medicare. 

So this will be the start of my notes for my 500 mile walk from St. Jean France to Santiago Spain, commonly referred to as The Camino Frances.

It is March 6th and if all goes well I will leave for Madrid on May 13th. That's 68 days from now. The original plan was to go in mid-August with Pat McFadden and John Pace. I feel terrible because it was Pat who got me thinking about The Camino. Pat had already made the decision to complete the "walk" and was kind enough to not only encourage me to join him but also was there to guide me through the process of getting my backpack and to start the training. If not for Pat I would not have become involved. Let me just point out that if something bad happens on the walk it was my choice. I have always tried to take responsibility for my decisions and that's not about to change. 

I regret not being able to make the journey with Pat but I have concluded that I have as great a risk of injury or worse if I continue on my current training schedule for an additional three months. I could try to slow down now and then ramp up again in three months but I am convinced that if I slow down now I may loose what I have gained in the last three months and not get it back for an August departure. I have also become concerned that if I go backwards in my preparation I may get there in August and become an anchor to both Pat and John. While going alone is a real concern it does eliminate any risk of getting in the way of anyone else's pace. I have read a number of books and blogs about the Camino and all strongly suggest that you go at your own pace regardless of the pace or others. That is easier said than done. No one wants to be dragging behind or waiting for others to catch up. So as much as going alone is a bit scary I think it may be best for me and for Pat and John.

How long will it take? I don't know. I think it will take as long as it needs to. It is not a race, it's a journey. With the grace of God I will make it to the Cathedral of St. James in whatever time He allows. I don't care how long it takes, I just want to finish the entire 500 miles.

I have noticed an interesting variety or reactions from people when they hear about the Walk. It's not uncommon to hear "are you nuts" or a simple "why?". I have had a good number of people encourage me and express confidence in my ability to complete the task. That has been helpful but I can't for the life of me understand how some think I can do it when I myself am not all that sure.

I have also had a few people come right out and tell me that the idea is "crazy" or in one case I was told that "you will never make it". That comment has actually become a good motivator.

I am currently hiking about 40 miles each week with my backpack weighing in at about 23 pounds. The weight really depends on how much water I take along. Forty eight ounce's of water is 4 pounds. I could take less because there is plenty of water available here but I need to carry the extra water in preparation for being in places where the water is in short supply or I just can't find it. Throw in three training sessions with Edwin at the gym each week and you can begin to see why I am concerned about running out of gas. 

Most blogs suggest a daily average of 15 miles. That sounds fairly simple and straight forward but it does not take into account the weather and the terrain. For instance, the very first day from St Jean will require a walk of 15 miles but will also include an elevation change of 4,100 feet. The second day is also no bargain. The bottom line is that if you can survive the first two days without any major injuries or other problems you will significantly improve your chances of completing the Walk. 

Walking 15 miles on flat terrain is hard, doing it up a hill of 4,100 feet is not the same. Throw in a little jet lag, a great deal of doubt and a fear of failure and the Walk starts to look like more than just averaging 15 miles a day and then flying home. While it may be just 15 miles in a day it's also 35 days in a row or with two days off it's 37 days. Throw in the language issue and the real possibility of getting lost, sleeping in a group hostel in a bunk bed and finding food everyday and you start to understand why people would ask "why?". It will be a great adjustment from years of being spoiled at some the the world's best hotels. I doubt there will be a frequent visitor point system at a place in the middle of nowhere which charges 6 Euros for the night.

It's March 6th and tomorrow I need to put in at least 10 miles. It may rain so tomorrow may also be my first real test to see if I can properly pack with my rain cover, keep everything dry and still get in the 10 miles.

In my next update I will share my experience  of hiking at the beach and being looked at like some kind of homeless guy. I think if I create a "will work for food" sign and pin it to my backpack I could make a few bucks. That's it for now.  



1 comment:

  1. No doubt in my mind that you will give this journey more than 100% effort regardless of the outcome. The next 3-5 weeks or so will test your determination and your will to go on. Whatever happens you will have no regrets!! your sister in law Jill

    ReplyDelete