Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Stage 33 ..... I am really close, I am as shocked as you are .... Today 13 miles closer to the goal, Santiago

Fortunately the medicine is working. I feel much better today than when I went to bed last night. I guess walking in the cold rain was not good for me. I'm really close but I'm also really tired.

Breakfast is what it is, you just get use to it. I will get a head start on Rainer. He will be at a different hotel tonight because my hotel is sold out. We will meet for dinner on Wednesday in Santiago.

Unlike yesterday the weather this morning is clear but its cold. It's 18 C or about 57 F. That's a good temperature for walking but throw in some wind and it gets al little chilly. It's much better than yesterday and there is no point in dwelling on it. You just deal with it and go.

The Camino is crowded today . If feels like a "walkathon". With very few exceptions they are all new faces. I do see from time to time a few of the children, they are all spread out. 

It's a nice day and the trail is much better. The mud for the most part is gone. No surprise hills, just 13 miles. I am moving at a pretty good pace because I keep passing people but I'm not pushing it. I don't take my first break until I've gone about five miles. A little something to eat, water and a snack and I am back on the Camino. 

I think I am more focused because I am getting so close. I have all of the stones, they have all been marked and will be placed at The Hill of Happiness tomorrow just as I get set to enter the city. I will leave about the same time as I did today, 10:00. I could leave earlier to try and make the Pilgrims Mass at noon but that would just mean pushing it . I will attend the Pilgrims Mass on Thursday, it will be a lot easier. Getting my Compostela tomorrow will be my focus followed by buying one long sleeve shirt I can wear to dinner and then on the flight home. All of the clothes I came with will not be returning. 

I arrive in O Pedrouzo at 3:30 , five an a half hours. It's amazing how the trail conditions will effect time. It's also amazing how fast you can walk 13 miles when you know that it's going to bring you to the last Stage of this 500 mile journey! 

Now a little dinner, some cold medicine and some sleep before I start Stage 34 a walk of only 12 miles to Santiago. Just think that for those of you on the west coast, I will be completing my Camino at the Cathedral of Saint James as you have your morning coffee, I hope you enjoy it as much I will enjoy seeing the Cathedral . 

Good night .


1 comment: