Friday, September 21, 2018

Day 28


Today I will be walking to Triacastela which is about 13 miles away. Nothing like yesterday, mostly downhill leaving yesterday’s mountain behind. There is one other pilgrim I forgot to mention. When I had dinner with Pat in Astorga I was telling him about her. I don’t know her name or anything about her but she is different. I am walking on a straight stretch of trail when I look ahead and there is a women dressed in black, large hat walking with poles marching toward me. A few minutes go by and I’m really confused because I’m not getting any closer to her and she’s not getting any closer to me ... she is walking backwards. It took a few minutes for me to figure it out. I couldn’t tell if I was coming or going! I have not seen her since. Strange.



Today’s walk puts me within six days of completing the Camino. There isn't much to write about today. I didn’t lose anything, it didn’t rain but I did cover the 12 miles pretty quickly. Lots of cows and cow related traffic jams. I did see a bus load of American women get out of the bus after avoiding the only real hill challenge which ends at a restaurant at the top. They all lined up inside to have their credential stamped. Pathetic. I took their picture with the bus.


I have a nice little room in the Casa David. I stayed here once before. Nice people with a clothes line out back. Strange how you change your perspective on the Camino. Gone is the focus on room service, a minibar, turndown service, cable tv, movie channels, elevators, concierge, a bellman, air conditioning, real pillows and so much more. I’m now focused on the availability of a clothes line.


Tomorrow is Day 28. SAN Day. Off to Sarria a distance of 12 or 16 miles ... there are two routes. One route is shorter by 4 miles but avoids the steep climb up the Alto Riocabo. I’m going to climb the hill and go 4 miles less. 

Good night. Buen Camino.

Miles today: 12.2
Miles to date: 423.1
Steps today : 31,308
Steps to date: 997,398
Flights to date: 810
Total donations to date: $34,950.40

1 comment:

  1. It is the first day of Fall Jim.....cool weather for your final days on The Camino.
    Thinking of you, Debby

    ReplyDelete