Friday, October 9, 2015

The final post for The Walk for Water ... I fly back in the morning. Can't wait!

Arrival in Santiago was nice. Great weather and good trail conditions. It was an easy day. So what's the one question I'm getting asked the most? How did the two Camino's compare? It's very difficult to duplicate the first Camino. I take a ride in a Police car, I walked ten miles in the wrong direction only to be saved by the Dos Jose's, I meet Michele, Rainer, Nelly, Fernando, Emma and Emily, Bono, Irish Ann and others. Impossible to duplicate. Yes, but in the last half of Camnio Dos I did get to meet some very nice people. People who were not just nice but fun to be around. 

One thing I experienced on both Camino's regardless of how hard I tried to avoid it was this. After the first three difficult days to start the Camino I can clearly recall waking up on day four feeling tired and sore and then just sitting there thinking .... I have thirty one more days to go! 

The weather was different between the two Camino's. On the second day of Camino Uno it snowed. That was a very difficult day. The rain I walked in over the last week or so of Camino Dos has been biblical. Just think of what it would be like if you went on a seventeen mile walk, carring about twenty pounds up and down some very tough hills, lots of rocks, mud and then throw in having someone in front of you for the entire day with a firehouse on you. I think you get the picture.

The Hotel's, Pension's and Hostal's were the same and in many of the thirty four days on the Camino I did stay in the same places. The food was good and as always some days better than others. I did a reasonable job with the laundry as well as trying to figure out how best to take care of the passengers when I had my blisters. I was much luckier than lots of people who had to give up because of injury, many because of blisters, knees or shoulders. I think I was a little better prepared for the first Camino. I may have  been a little to confident but I payed for that in the early part of this Camino but survived.

I think I can say that I did a better job with the camera. On my first Camino I was just so focused on getting to the next village that I just walked past most of what was there to take in. I believe that I did take in a great deal more this time. I'm stilled challenged by the technology but perhaps just a tiny bit better this time. 

I walked alone for ninety nine percent of both Camino's and that was planned in order to experience the solitude that was so surpriseing the first time. Walking all alone has it drawbacks but it worked best for me. My pace, my schedule. Speaking of my pace my schedule I will for the last time raise the issue of pilgrim vs. tourist. I completely agree that if you can't carry your backpack because of physical challenges okay then use the Donkey service. Here's where I have problem. If you can't carry a backpack with all of the things you think you will need then just show up with a backpack and have it sent ahead each day. Bringing two fifty pound suitcases is no different than going on a two week cruise to the islands. Not sure what you will need just bring it along. That's not the Camino. 

I had to plan and then decide what to bring and what I needed to leave behind. When you have a limit of twenty two pounds you have to make those decisions. That's part of what the Camino is. When I went to the airport on day of departure I was struggling about bringing both the new and the old Limos, just in case. I chose not to because of weight. When my blisters showed up I immediately began second guessing my decision. If I was bringing two suitcases because of the Donkey service I would have had both the new and the old Limos. The list of things I could have brought is to long to attempt to cover. The Camino is about discomfort both physical and emotional. Not having the things you would wish you had in the middle of a storm is part of the journey. My mother had a simple way of explaining that and I never forgot it. When there were times when I wished I had something or needed something and I voiced a complaint or asked the question why? ... She would simply say "make do". That's what I learned and that's what got me through the Camino. The tourist really don't feel that and that in my opinion is a huge difference.

You want to walk the Camino but use a Donkey service? Fine but bring just one backpack and go through that part of the journey. Leave the two suitcases and a carry on at home.

One very obvious difference in Camino Dos is that on this Camino I committed to do it again but this time for a charity. That becomes a solid motivator. The last thing you want to do is to let down a lot of people who were kind enough to support the Clean Water project. Those people did make Camino Dos very special. 

In summary, first I want to say Thank You to everyone who was able to make a donation. Your contributions ( of over $102,000 ) will provide clean life saving water to many children and their families. The impact of your gifts will be felt for many years to come!

By the way the donation page will remain open until the 15th so if you you know someone who might be able to help please send them the link.

I look forward to seeing everyone soon. Good night and Buen Camino!


1 comment: