Tuesday, October 6, 2015

It's "O" day as in SANTIAGO. Just twelve miles and the journey will be complete. I can't sleep.

Another lucky hotel with radiators which have been turned on. My limos will be dry on my walk to Santiago. There is one drawback. I have only one small window and it's open as much as it can be but its losing the battle between the heat being generated by the radiators and any attempt to cool off the room with some fresh air. There is also the noise. Once again I have the road room and it's all trucks all the time. I did get to sleep at around 10:00 but I just woke up, I'm wide awake and it's 1:22 am. This will give me a head start on today's blog. When I woke up I was thinking maybe it's getting close to departure time. Could be a little anticipation about getting to Santiago. I think I went through this on the first Camino.

I will begin the process of eliminating items I will no longer need and therefore reduce the weight of my backpack. Assuming that the weather forecast remains as good as it is now I will leave behind my trash bag with arms, my serial killer hat, several shirts which are just shot, a pair of shorts that have seen better days and no longer fit, socks and more. This will be the added benefit of being on the last day.

I finish breakfast, packing and I am on the Camino at 8:30. It will be about a twelve mile walk today. The weather is okay. It is not raining but the sky looks threating. The temperature is perfect for the walk probably in the low 50's. The only issue will be the trail conditions. There has been so much rain in the last four days that I know there will be some mud. As it turns out threre is some but mostly in the forest where the tree cover is keeping the sun from drying the trail. All in all it is a simple and easy walk with minor mud dancing.

I stop at the first cafe because I did not remember to grab a bottle of water at the hotel. It will be brief. There is one other little cafe where I plan to stop. It is just prior to reaching the Hill of Happiness. I stopped there the last time and I was entertained watching everyone working there completely glued to the tv watching the Detriot version of Pawn Stars. I really want to see if they have changed and perhaps downgraded their TV tastes to even lower levels. Who knows maybe they will be watching the Kardashians. 

When I reach the cafe it is packed with about twenty young people so I will just pass. I'm getting to close to create any delays. As I turn the corner I can see a large group of people up ahead it's the monument built to honor Pope John Paul ll. it is located on the Hill of Happiness. I have the stones to place. There are concrete benches at the base of the monument so I take a seat to get out the stones to photograph which I will the send by email. I have been on the bench for less than a minute when this German women comes up to me and asks if I'm done yet? I said very quietly "no" and she turned away and said something to her friends about me which I don't think was flattering. I take the photos and pick up my things so they can have the bench. How do they find me?

So now it's time to march into the city. It is about three miles from the monument to the cathedral. I will first stop at the large red Santiago de Compestella sign and ask someone to take my picture. It's easy, there are a number of pilgrims doing the same. The sun comes out and I am on my way . I arrive at the cathedral at 2:00 and I have made a sign which says .... I MADE IT and below that it says CAMINO DOS. My Five Hundred Mile Walk For Water is complete, all One Million Steps!

I'm going to sign off now and just chill before dinner. Tonight it's dinner with Gaynor, Jane and Mel. Tomorrow dinner With Peter, Charlotte and Sonia. I will post one more summary of the blog tomorrow.
Good night and Buen Camino.

No comments:

Post a Comment